Tooth whitening – is not only an aesthetic but also an oral hygiene issue
Beautiful, healthy teeth and eyes are the most prominent parts of the face. Sparkling white teeth provide a young and neat appearance, making the face even more beautiful. Most of the people have white teeth when they are young. Stained teeth can occur as we age, but some common foods, drinks, and tobacco can stain teeth. Due to the modern tooth whitening techniques, further discoloration can be prevented. See your dentist for regular checkups and professional cleaning.
The abrasion and polishing methods dentists use can remove many teeth stains caused by food and tobacco. Prior to the “in-office bleaching”, which is applied by a professional dentist and “at-home bleaching” which is used at home by the patient, a professional dental cleaning is performed also by a dentist at our clinic.
Professional in-office whitening
We use an advanced tooth whitening technology at our clinic: a full-mouth bleaching light combined with 16% carbamide peroxide light activated gel to lighten teeth shades.
Steps of the teeth whitening procedure
- First, your mouth is prepared for the procedure with a mouth brace to comfortably keep your mouth open during the procedure, and a preparation is applied to cover your lips and gums which leaves only your teeth exposed.
- Next, the special whitening gel is applied to your teeth that works together with the bleaching light. In three 15-minute segments, your teeth are exposed to the bleaching light, which activates the carbamide peroxide in the gel. As the carbamide peroxide begins to break down, oxygen seeps into the tooth enamel and dentin, bleaching away any stains.
- Applying protecting gel completes the procedure (a cleaning is recommended prior to the actual teeth whitening session).
- For the first 48 hours you should avoid consuming foods and drinks that can release dark color pigments. Products to avoid include: red wine, coffee, black tea, coke, juice, brown bread, fruits, artifical dyes, sauces, salad dressings, smoking. Products to consume: milk, plain yoghurt, cheese, water, rice, pasta, white bread, chicken, fish, pork, vegetables.
In-Home bleaching with custom fitted trays – whiter and brighter teeth every day!
Steps of the in-home bleaching procedure
- With in-home bleaching, our dentist makes an impression for a model of the teeth, the dental technician fabricates a custom-fitted tray and a bleaching agent is prescribed that comes in the form of a bleaching gel.
- The gel is placed in the custom-fitted tray and worn up to two hours daily or at night for about two weeks. In most of the cases 5-8 nights are sufficient.
- The amount of time the custom-fitted tray is worn and the duration may vary according to a person’s individual need and the recommendations of the dentist.
- During the treatment it is recommended to avoid consuming foods and drinks that can release dark color pigments. Products to avoid include coffee, tea, cola, red wine, smoking, etc.
Bleaching with whitening gel is proven to be a safe and effective procedure because it does not cause change in the structure of the teeth.
Tip: to achieve the most effective result, we recommend combining the 2 methods, the professional in-office whitening with the in-home bleaching.